Now this looks like the perfect healthy gluten-free breakfast to me! Cant wait to try this and share it with my pancake crazy kids.
I sit here typing, drinking my green tea, and I am filled with hope and excitement as today I begin my 3-day Shakeology cleanse. My hope is that my body will be restored of its health and cleansed from its toxins and possibly lose a pound or two and begin my weightloss journey. I have done this cleanse many times in the past and it is a good one. It always leaves me feeling energized, deflated, and ready for better health!
The cleanse begins each day with a cup of green tea. Now if you know anything about green tea, than you know that a minimum of one cup a day is good for you. According to this article from care2 make a difference, there are 9 reasons to drink green tea. No wonder the cleanse begins with a cup each day. Who knew that such a simple joyful cup of tea could ward off cancer, help fight fat and wrinkles. My green tea of choice is Numi Gunpowder Green. It has a delightful sweet taste and its not as “green” tasting as the other green teas. Numi teas are some of my favorites. They have an amazing Moroccan mint which is the perfect mint tea if you ask me. It reminds me of the Sweet mint by Orbit. Just the perfect amount of mint!
To stick with the green theme I think I will go and make my Greenberry Shakeology. Check back in 3 days to get the results of my cleanse.
As I’m sure you are aware, I am an Independent Team Beachbody Coach. I have a huge passion for health and fitness and want to help encourage and support others in reaching their health and fitness goals. I share this with you for two reasons:
1. I want to reach out to as many people as humanly possible, to get the word out that I want to help them be successful in reaching their health and fitness goals. There is only so much I can do with my extended network but with your help, we can reach out to others together and give them the encouragement and motivation they need. So it’s as simple as communicating with others about me, my passion, and my business and sending me any interested referrals.
2. The future of your health is important! Many people struggle with the idea of exercising and eating healthy and its become a major epidemic! The whole reason I joined with Team Beachbody was to help End the Trend of Obesity. Our health and the future of our children’s health is at stake! Together we can help build a healthy future for our children and our grandchildren. So I ask that you just take a few moments to consider your health and ask yourself, “What changes can I make in my life today, to provide a healthier future for myself and my family?” It only takes a few changes and discipline to lessen your health risk factors. Will you join me in helping to end the trend?
If you are struggling to make TODAY the day you make a change, invest in your future and let me guide you to a healthier, more fit, YOU!
Contact me at:
http://www.beachbodycoach.com/davis8089 or facebook.com/chasingfit
I decided to actually make myself a grocery list this past week and planned my meals for the week. I have found that I’m not eating as nutritious as I would like lately, either because I don’t have the time or I don’t have the ingredients, and thought that if I planned my meals ahead then I would be more successful at nutritious eating. I found some great healthy recipes, mostly from the 100 Days of Real Food website, that I used this week and were an overall success with my husband and 4-year-old daughter, my toughest critics. My favorite recipe of all time is Turkey Meatloaf. I got the original recipe for Italian Meatloaf off the back of the Progresso Bread Crumbs container but have turned it into my own version of Turkey Meatloaf.
1 1/2 lbs lean natural ground turkey
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Teaspoons fresh basil leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 garlic clove, diced
1 egg (preferably cage-free and organic)
3/4 cup oats
1 small onion, chopped or grated
1 bell pepper of any color, chopped or grated
1/4 grated carrots
Ketchup, BBQ sauce, or Chili sauce
1. Pre-Heat oven to 350 F
2. Mix all ingredients except ketchup
3. Spread mixture in an ungreased loaf pan then spread ketchup over the top
4. Bake uncovered for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until cooked through. Let stand 5-10 min before serving
*Try substituting 1/4 lb. very lean all-natural beef for 1/4 lb. of the turkey
*Use ketchup that has no added sugar
*If using Sweet chili sauce, use sparingly as it is not a clean eating food but it adds a very nice flavor to the loaf
I have also been reading Tosca Reno’s books on The Eat-Clean Diet which has been very eye-opening and inspiring. It takes work and practice to accomplish nutritious whole food eating but it will be well worth the investment. What I am finding so far is that there is so much flavor in just the food alone without having to add all the sugar and fat. Which leads me to this recipe using honey and yogurt in place of sugar. Bananas also contain a lot of natural sugar. The overall result was very delicious and a great alternative to the sugar based breads/muffins and it as whole grain!
Whole Wheat Banana Bread (adapted from 100 Days of Real Food)
- 2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour (make sure it is WHOLE wheat flour and not just wheat flour- this is how the industry tries to trick us)
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup plain yogurt (*I used vanilla yogurt or you could also use applesauce)
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil (*check her blog for healthy oil options – I used olive oil or unrefined extra virgin coconut oil would be a good choice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and grease pan.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt, honey, eggs, oil, and
- Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not
- Pour batter into prepared pan. (I made mine in muffin pans)
- Bake large loaf for 40 – 50 minutes or until it comes clean with a
Overall, planning ahead was a bit time consuming on the front end but a huge time saver in terms of dinner plans and preparation. I knew what I was making for the evening, could take out any necessary ingredients the night before, and it didnt require much thinking at the end of the day when Im usually worn out. With practice and better planning I feel we can all be successful at eating clean nutritious meals every day. Put the time in now and get yourself on the road to a healthy future!
Other delicious recipes tried this week:
I have been a bit distant lately due to my attention being on researching health, fitness, and nutrition. I have many different aspects I am pursuing and very little time to pursue all this. I want it to all happen now and I want to know everything there is to know about nutrition NOW! I wanted to share with you a few of the things of I have learned in the past week and half while I have been away that I think may help shed a light on this whole nutrition thing.
I have found several new websites/blogs that I am absolutely in love with and have really helped me in making sense of everything.
1. 101 Cookbooks is an amazing website which really helped me make sense of natural foods. If you click on the natural foods link at the top of the page, there are five different links to cooking with natural foods. She breaks down each ingredient and gives you the in’s and out’s of them. Because of this info I was able to successfully shop for baking items and make sense of what I was buying. Almost every week during my weekly shopping i spend at least 5 minutes just staring at the baking supplies in the natural foods section. All I could see was a bunch of mumbo jumbo and now I am pleased to say I successfully shopped, bought, and replaced white sugar in my recipes. I love to bake sweets but since I have switched to whole foods I have stopped making sweets because I knew the ingredients were a no-no. Now I feel a whole lot safer about the ingredients I am putting in my sweets. I don’t plan on making this a weekly habit but I can now incorporate it into my menu on a monthly basis. I have been craving sweets terribly this week and this just hit the spot for me. Here is a link to the recipe I made today found on this exact website, Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes, can you say YUMMY!
2. 100 Days of Real Food is a blog by a women whose family started a 100 day challenge of real food; meaning nothing boxed, canned, frozen, processed, you get it right? She was raised on practically Doritos and boxed Mac & Cheese. Her story was posted on the Yahoo.com from page today, found here, and it caught my eye so I read into it, to find amazing, nutritious, delicious, whole food recipes. She even offers four FREE 7-day meal plans on her Facebook page (if you like it) with grocery list included. This is a very inspiring women who has done not only a huge sacrifice for her family but has opened up the eyes for the rest of us. Now I know if she can do it we can too! Not to mention she is a wife and mother of two young children so she is very relatable.
3. The Fresh 20 is a site I found, thanks to the blog I just previously mentioned, that offers you five weekly dinner plans using only fresh ingredients that promote health and balance and are kid friendly too! Woo hoo to that! I think Kid friendly means husband friendly too 🙂 They provide you with a weekly shopping list of all ingredients totalling around $75. That is five Meals for $75 which breaks down to $3.75/meal. I want to make clear that the $75 is what you would spend at the store on ingredients. They charge only $5/month for the meal plans or $49/year. They even offer gluten-free and vegetarian meal plans. I am seriously considering joining this for a while to mix up my meal making and get some good meals my family will like. By the way, I in no way make any money off you joining this plan. I just think it is really cool and an amazing solution for those wanting to eat healthy and nutritious but struggling to find their way. This would definitely get you headed in the right direction!
4. Team Beachbody is where I have become an Independent Beachbody Coach because I love their products. I have previewed Insanity, TurboFire, and P90X and have loved all of them. I also drink Shakeology daily and this in itself has really helped in this entire process. I could go on and on about Shakeology but will leave you to check out the attached video if you are interested. All I can say is it right down the whole food, nutrition, and fitness path I am on and it is worth every darn penny I pay! Check it out here. You can also check out my website at http://www.beachbodycoach.com/davis8089 to learn more about Team Beachbody and their products. They offer amazing products for weight loss, sports recovery, supplements, nutrition, and so much more! I stand by these products 100% because they work. I don’t just say that because I work for them.
With that said I will leave you to check out these websites/blogs and venture into the world of nutrition. It is full of flavor and fun and doesn’t have to be bland and boring. There is a world awaiting you so have at it!
I’m a mother of two children, a wife, I don’t have a college degree but I do have college debt, and I love to workout and eat healthy. This is my purpose in life! It may not sound exciting to most, but to me it is the best darn thing and I couldn’t be happier (minus the debt). I am able to pursue life with my family through a healthy and fit lifestyle. I wasnt always this way, in fact just a short 3 months ago, I was overweight, eating fast food almost daily, constantly craving everything that was unhealthy (cookies, ice cream, mocha, candy), and had no energy to get me through the day. I had all the desire and dreams in the world to workout and eat healthy but I didn’t have the motivation or purpose to fulfill these dreams. I was lost in a field of dreams!
One day I was given an opportunity, by a mother at my daughters preschool, to listen to a presentation given by Stacy Ellis, RN on “Feeding the Hungry Brain”. I took this opportunity, invited a few friends and just soaked in what she had to tell me. Some of the info I could tell was pretty basic, from the comments of my friends and everyone else around me, but for me it was all new and completely invigorating. Things like leafy greens are the best, your brain is made of mostly water, read nutrition labels on foods before you buy them, buying local produce, and so much more. At the sake of sounding naive, I had never heard this stuff before or maybe I had heard it but it had never made sense until this day. This was the start of my new journey and my newfound passion! I didn’t know it was my new passion at this point in time but for the first time I was able to actually start making some improvements in the health department, like I had always dreamed about, and stop making the excuses of I don’t know how!
I went home and immediately began shopping in the natural section, buying more fruits and veggies, and shopping only the perimeter of the store, as I had learned from Body by Jess, on one of her posts. Surprisingly this wasnt hard at all! My husband tried to complain that I was spending extra money on the organic stuff but what I quickly explained was that the money I am saving, by not buying the processed junk food, is being used to spend on the slightly more expensive but healthier natural choices. Therefore it cancels each other out! The kicker to this is that I am also looking out for my families future at the same time by cooking them healthy nutritious meals. It’s a win-win situation the way I see it! Health wins!!
So, I started to eat healthy but was still longing to go for a jog, or climb some stairs, or anything. But it wasnt happening. Possibly because I had a newborn, and it was rainy outside, and I don’t have a gym membership, and and and……..blah blah blah! Just a bunch more excuses to keep me from reaching my goals.
Then, I ran into a former church friend who had lost an amazing amount of weight. I began to dig into his story and learned that he just took himself out on the track one day, at a nearby school, and slowly started jogging. This for him has now turned into a huge journey, which you should really take the time to check out on his blog. Very inspiring! Needless to say, this was the last and final push for me to get my booty on the move! I contacted the local bootcamp, signed up, and have been going ever since. I look forward to each and every workout even though they get tougher each day. I run with my co-workers at work and we push each other each and every time. I have found what my purpose is in life even when I was lost in a field of dreams.
As quoted in the movie Field of Dreams “If you build it, he will come”, came to me in an attempt to fall asleep the other night. I pondered on this quote over the past week to find its relevance in my life. After reading the plot of the movie, as it has been almost two decades since I have seen this movie, I now understand how it relates to life. Follow through on your dreams and your passions, pursue life with a positive outlook, attempt to re-discover yourself and your purpose in life! People, in general, tend to get stuck in slumps. We forget who we are and what we want. We are too busy trying to satisfy everyone else and we aren’t satisfying ourselves. Take care of yourself and your body and you will find that it takes little to no effort to satisfy others. When your body is happy and healthy you naturally give off positive vibes to others. You just can’t help it! Build yourself first then everything else will follow.
Needless to say, I am now on my way to an amazing life full of vigor and happiness! What once began as a dream is now my life every day of the week. I eat healthy, workout 6 days a week, help others to find it within themselves to get healthy, and this all comes with no effort. If me, a down on herself, frumpy, unfit mom can do it, then so can you!
While searching for answers to the Field of Dreams quote I ran across Tales from the motherland blog, which I found to be very fitting for this subject. She talks about digging deeper and finding that inner strength. Take a minute to read her post as well for some funny and inspiring thoughts.
Cheers to finding your purpose! It may not be anything grand or huge but it is very satisfying.